Sunday, December 16, 2012

Making Soy Candles!


I attempted making candles for the first time! It was super easy. The supplies needed were:
- Soy wax flakes
- Wicks
- Essential oils
- Containers - I had asked friends/family to save any empty candle jars so I could refill them. A handy tip I found for getting leftover wax out of glass candle containers is to put them in the freezer and then chip it out with a knife - it usually comes out in one chunk! Slick!
- Double boiler - I don't have one of these so I just used a pan with water in it and then put the wax in a glass Pyrex container over it (see pic).

So, all you do is boil the water in the 'double boiler' to melt the wax. Then add some essential oils to your liking, put a touch of wax on the bottom of the wick and put it in place in the jar - let it cool so it stays in place. Then fill up the jars!

Here are the jars cooling! You can see some are already turning white. I used a clothespin to hold the wick up so it stayed straight. Once they are cool just snip off the extra wick and you're done!  I made cinnamon scented candles for Christmas gifts :)

Also this day there were some wild turkeys hanging out in the field behind our house - you can just see the black dots wayyy back there...

And then there was this little turkey hanging out in our front yard! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails