Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Making My Own Tent with Ed (ski-pulk Ed)

I work on the side with Ed B (Eddy Money in my book). I assist him in building ski pulks. Ed is a jack of all trades guy and I enjoy learning from his random thoughts (good thoughts). Ed built a large tee-pee tent a few years back that always interested me. I told him that he had to teach me the steps in making a tent. So, to start making my own tent, we searched for some light weight material for the tent. We chose a light weight cordura type material with a waterproof membrane. We cut 3 pieces at 20 ft long and had them sewn together giving us a 20X15 piece of material.







We then cut a circle/cylinder shape out of the fabric. We wanted to use the most amount of fabric possible (least waste). The image on the right is the finished raw product. Just envision a cone type structure standing with one single pole up the middle. The chunk of pie that is cut out will meet and that is where the zipper will be sewn in. I will also sew in a reinforced patch at the peak to prevent the pole from damaging the fabric. There will be about 11 webbing loops sewn in around the bottom of the tent to stake it out. I also can not forget the fiberglass patch that I will sew in so I can put a stove and chimney in for warm winter camping. The center poles are aluminum of different circumferences so they nest in each other for convenient space saving. I will post more pics as I make progress. If you want more details, feel free to comment and I will do my best to fill you in.

4 comments:

  1. is that thing gonna be ready to go by summer? you should bring it to the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, making your very own tent! Amazing, truly amazing! I look forward to seeing it set up 'in the pines'! I checked out your blog tonight and am in awe of all the experiences you & Ashley have been able to share together. You are two lucky people that are on a real journey! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THERE IS ONLY ONE POLE!?!? WHAT IS THE ANTICIPATED WEIGHT OF THE TENT? CAN I PLACE AN ORDER?

    :)
    ANG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Grant Walt my neighber wants one too!!!

    Marv

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails