Sunday, September 20, 2009

Surf Boating Sturgeon Falls - Aug 27-30

B-Rody and I ventured North across the border to Winnipeg and then headed East to the Whiteshell Provincial Park, home of Sturgeon Falls and the Winnipeg River. We left our lovely wives on Thursday night and drove to just South of the border


We pulled the gear out of the back of the Vibe and crashed with the truckers at a rest stop. I told Brody to be sure to put out our "No Lot Lizards" sign. He learned what that meant after pondering the saying for a while:) Crossing the border at the current time is always a little nerve racking. Especially with two dudes like us. We have a tough time keeping our mouths shut. We think we are funny:) The guard grilled us on our plans and how we knew each other and that's about it. We practiced the questions a few miles before getting to the border. Canada let us in. Four more hours and we would be surfing. Stopped for gas at this lill mom and pop station at Seddons Corner just outside the park. A guy came out of the station and walked right at me as I got out of the car. I thought he was looking for trouble. I was preparing for a little excitement when he told me he was gonna pump my gas. Unreal! Haven't had my gas pumped for me since I was 16 by Milo at Mobil in LP. We continued on. Arrived at the park in the mid morning hours and set up the tent because we knew we would be much to tired to do it after we paddled that afternoon.


We suited up and made the half mile flatwater paddle to the waves. When we got on the water I could hear the power of the water before I could even see it across the lake.


Brody and I were the first ones out that day. The waves were crazy and very friendly.
Grant


Brody


Some stood about 7 feet tall from trough to the crest of the wave. An older guy came out a while after us and joined in on the fun. He was a crazy old man. He even brought some chronic to ease his nerves while he paddled. Eventually some others came out to paddle as well. By this time I had taken a swim once and had to be rescued. The water is so powerful that you get pushed a half mile out into the lake if you swim. Here's Brody:
video

Brody and I were getting tired so we headed back to camp. Good day.


We paddled the entire day on Saturday as well. Some fellow Minnesotans showed up too. They were from Roseau. The young kid was a good boater and fun to watch. There were about 6-8 boaters out on Saturday. Good time and we were spent by the end of the day. The laughs for the day were when Brody would get out of his boat for a break on the rock island.


Brody forgot to bring synthetic shorts (swim trunks). He was wearing a pair of skimpy boxers under his spray skirt. As if he needed anything else to make him funny looking. Here's me:
video

We got to camp and relaxed. Started a fire and ate. Then we made a quick drive to a place where rocks had been stacked in the shapes of turtles and snakes and humans by the native people. Pretty crazy and a little eerie at dusk. We went back to camp and chatted over a nice fire. We headed for home around 8am on Sunday. Got to the US border in a few hours. Brody informed me that getting back into the US was harder than getting into Canada. The border patrol dude grilled us for a while like the jock that he was and we were back into the good old USA. It's a shame when you are scared if you will be able to get back to your own country. Just open all the borders for the love of it all. Made it home safe and sound. An epic 4 day bender with B-Rody. Its good to have a friend that is as sick and insane as myself.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Grant you are a great story teller. You and Ash write the best adventure stories ever!!!!!!
    I am always looking forward to the next adventure with you two.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy and insane! Looked like alot of fun!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails